Our favorite ‘memory’ foods often have extra info! Recipe from Pauline Watkins, who got it from Mary Batchelder Watkins… teachers and farming gardeners in Illinois – always included ‘guidance.’
Bake to serve just as meal is ready. This is the secret of extra special shortcake. “It is the only shortcake one should ever have with strawberries fresh from the patch. And use real butter, not margarine.”
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- Sift dry ingredients. Cut in shortening with a fork until mix is like coarse crumbs. Add milk only until mix is moistened.
- Pat into rounds or fit into pan. 450 degrees for 15-18 minutes.
- Prepare your strawberries – stems off and sliced in half or smaller – capture every drop of juice.
- Slice shortcake in half while hot.
- Button on top and right side while hot and fill with strawberries (include the juice).
- Serve hot. All will be crumbly and great!
- Some folks also insist on whipped cream with sugar.