Enjoyed at Edible Flint’s Harvest Festival, 2021! Serve hot.
Adapted from Project Bread, recipe created by Chef Kirk H. Conrad
- 3.5 pounds of butternut squash, peeled & diced
- 2 ½ cups low-fat milk
- ¾ cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 ½ teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 t. butter
- 1 t. of cinnamon
- Pinches of: garlic, onion powder, salt
- Adjust consistency with a small amount of chicken or vegetable stock as necessary and return to heat briefly.
- Garnish: ¼ cup chopped chives & teaspoon of low fat sour cream for each cup of soup
Cook squash in pot of boiling salted water, until very soft (20 minutes)
Drain well & mash thoroughly. If you like, you may use an immersion blender.
Blend in milk; add brown sugar & seasonings.
Finish with t. of butter (or margarine)
Serve hot with garnish of sour cream & chives.
Serve hot with fresh crusty bread.
Serves 8 – approx. 1 cup servings